ICKDSF problem
turner, mark
2008-07-31 12:34:17 UTC
Good morning listers.

I'm encountering problems when I attempt to reinitialize one of my 3390
mod 3 volumes. Here is the output from the init job:

ICKDSF - VSE DEVICE SUPPORT FACILITIES 17.0 TIME:
08:27:3

INIT SYSNAME(SYS010) NOVERIFY VOLID(BADVOL) PURGE -

VSEVTOC(0,01,15) VALIDATE DATA

ICK00700I DEVICE INFORMATION FOR 0A4E IS CURRENTLY AS FOLLOWS:

PHYSICAL DEVICE = 3390

STORAGE CONTROLLER = 3990

STORAGE CONTROL DESCRIPTOR = E9

DEVICE DESCRIPTOR = 0A

ADDITIONAL DEVICE INFORMATION = 08001500

TRKS/CYL = 15, # PRIMARY CYLS = 3339

ICK31777I UNRECOVERABLE I/O ERROR READING THE VTOC

ICK30003I FUNCTION TERMINATED. CONDITION CODE IS 12

08:27:32 07/31/08

ICK00002I ICKDSF PROCESSING COMPLETE. MAXIMUM CONDITION CODE WAS 12

The analyze runs file with no errors.

ICKDSF - VSE DEVICE SUPPORT FACILITIES 17.0

ANALYZE SYSNAME(SYS010) SCAN SPEED
ICK00700I DEVICE INFORMATION FOR 0A4E IS CURRENTLY AS FOLLOWS:
PHYSICAL DEVICE = 3390
STORAGE CONTROLLER = 3990
STORAGE CONTROL DESCRIPTOR = E9
DEVICE DESCRIPTOR = 0A
ADDITIONAL DEVICE INFORMATION = 08001500
TRKS/CYL = 15, # PRIMARY CYLS = 3339
ICK01400I 0A4E ANALYZE STARTED
ICK01409I DRIVE TEST STARTED
ICK01407I 0A4E NO DRIVE PROBLEMS FOUND
ICK01408I 0A4E DATA VERIFICATION TEST STARTED
ICK01405I 0A4E ALL DATA 'MACHINE READABLE' WITHOUT ERRORS
ICK01406I 0A4E ANALYZE ENDED
ICK00001I FUNCTION COMPLETED, HIGHEST CONDITION CODE WAS 0
08:20:46 07/31/08
ICKDSF - VSE DEVICE SUPPORT FACILITIES 17.0
ICK00002I ICKDSF PROCESSING COMPLETE. MAXIMUM CONDITION CODE WAS 0

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can initialize this volume? Here
is my initialize job.

* $$ JOB JNM=INITA4E,CLASS=P,DISP=D
* $$ LST CLASS=C
// JOB INITA4E - A4E DISK PACK - VOL METRES
// ASSGN SYS010,A4E
// EXEC ICKDSF,SIZE=AUTO
INIT SYSNAME(SYS010) NOVERIFY VOLID(BADVOL) PURGE -
VSEVTOC(0,01,15) VALIDATE DATA
/*
/&
* $$ EOJ

Mark E. Turner
Systems Programmer
Harford County Government
45 S. Main St.
Bel Air, MD 21014

Work: (410) 638-4109 ext. 1229
Cell: (443) 243-3591

mailto:***@harfordcountymd.gov

http://www.harfordcountymd.gov
Dick Oden
2008-07-31 12:48:07 UTC
Mark,

You may want to change (0,01,15) to (0,1,14) that would make the VTOC on
the first cylinder.

Dick Oden
Davis Vision

[...]

The information contained in this communication is intended
only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. It may
contain information that is privileged or confidential, and
may be protected by State and/or Federal Regulations. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution, or copying of this communication, or any of
its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please return it to the sender
immediately and delete the original message and any copy
of it from your computer system. If you have any questions
concerning this message, please contact the sender.
Gustavo Torres
2008-07-31 12:53:47 UTC
Mark,
Post by turner, mark
ICK31777I UNRECOVERABLE I/O ERROR READING THE VTOC
ICK30003I FUNCTION TERMINATED. CONDITION CODE IS 12
You could try without VALIDATE parm, if this don't work, try with
INSTALL command and then with INIT again.

Gustavo Torres
turner, mark
2008-07-31 13:01:23 UTC
ICKDSF - VSE DEVICE SUPPORT FACILITIES 17.0 TIME

INIT SYSNAME(SYS010) NOVERIFY VOLID(BADVOL) PURGE -
VSEVTOC(0,01,15) DATA
ICK30225I REQUIRED (SUB)PARAMETER OF 'VALIDATE' IS MISSING
ICK30202I ABOVE TEXT BYPASSED UNTIL NEXT COMMAND. CONDITION CODE IS 12

ICK00002I ICKDSF PROCESSING COMPLETE. MAXIMUM CONDITION CODE WAS 12
* * * E n d o f D a t a * * *

Can someone please help me with the syntax of the install parameter? My
job doesn't like validate being omitted. :-(

Gustavo Torres
Robert Hedgpeth
2008-07-31 13:12:38 UTC
Mark:
As Dick pointed out earlier, you need to change
VSEVTOC(0,01,15)
VSEVTOC(0,01,14)

VTOC has to END on a cylinder boundary and starting at track 1 for 15
tracks bumps you into the next cylinder.

Robert W. Hedgpeth
Technical Support Representative
illustro Systems, Intl., LLC
www.illustro.com

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

This e-mail is private and may be confidential and is for the intended
recipient only.
If misdirected, please notify us by telephone and confirm that it has
been deleted
from your system and any copies destroyed. If you are not the intended
recipient
you are strictly prohibited from using, printing, copying, distributing
or disseminating
this e-mail or any information contained in it.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We use reasonable measures to virus scan all E-mails leaving illustro
but no warranty
is given that this E-mail and any attachments are virus free. You should
ensure you
have adequate measures in place for your own virus checking.
Dick Oden
2008-07-31 13:29:47 UTC
Robert,

I thought the same thing but when I tried it the way Mark is doing it it
does work, I personally wouldn't do that but it will work.

Dick Oden
Davis Vision

Robert Hedgpeth
2008-07-31 13:35:09 UTC
Interesting .. I had been lead to believe that the vtoc had to end on a
cyl. boundary.

My apologies to everyone for my misstatement.

----------
Schoenemann, Holger
2008-07-31 13:05:34 UTC
I never had problems with:

INIT SYSNAME(SYS010) NOVFY VOLID(HAHA21) VSEVTOC(0,1,14) PURGE

I have no VALIDATE DATA

Peter Hahn GmbH · Sitz: 73649 Winterbach · Peter-Hahn-Platz 1
Geschäftsführer: Roland Allgeyer, Marina Fuchs-Halbgewachs

Registergericht: Stuttgart · Handelsregister-Nr.: HR B 280228 · UST.-IdNr. DE 811132800 · Steuer-Nr. 218/117/40036
Bankverbindung:Commerzbank Schorndorf · BLZ 600 400 71 · Konto-Nr. 2 800 639

This e-mail may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorised copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden.

turner, mark

2008-07-31 13:38:43 UTC
The issue was that the label processing always read from the first track
of the VTOC until the end of the cylinder whether the VTOC ended there
or not. If I wanted a 1 track VTOC I would use:
DVTOC(000,13,1).

Mark D. Boltax
Standard Motor Products, Inc.

The content of this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged and protected by law. It is intended solely for the purpose of the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient of this message please notify the sender immediately and delete the message.
Martin T2..
2008-07-31 13:53:40 UTC
Mark,

(sorry for picking- I have been picked lately too ;-) )
read from the first track of the VTOC until the end of the cylinder <<
It does do a multi-track search key equal- which can only end on a
cylinder- this is part of the story.

Now comes the new (like in since_20_years_or_so) part:

With the ECKDs you can define extents and it would only be logical that
a multitrack-operation with a previous define extent would come back
with a not found when the defined extent is thru. (haven't been in that
part of the woods lately so - someone correct me, if I am wrong).

And with mapped devices and RAID: what is a cylinder anyway?
--
Martin
on mainframe or PC systems; more at http://www.pi-sysprog.de
Paul L'Heureux
2008-07-31 15:35:50 UTC
Mark,

Just as an experiment could you try running the following JCL?

I want to see if you still get the VTOC error message.

* $$ JOB JNM=DSFINIT,DISP=D,PRI=3,CLASS=

* $$ LST CLASS=Z,DISP=L,DEST=*

// JOB DSFINIT

// LOG

// PAUSE EOB to INIT