Search in vse/ICCF like search in a PDS
Victor Echavarry Diaz
2013-06-14 13:59:48 UTC
Our consultants want to search a string of characters inside the ICCF members. They told me it would be the same like the search in a PDS on z/os. Is there is something like that on vse?

Regards,

Víctor Echavarry
System Programmer, EVERTEC LLC

WARNING: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
addressed. If you have received this email in error please delete it immediately.
Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those
of the author and do not necessarily represent those of EVERTEC, Inc. or its
affiliates. Finally, the integrity and security of this message cannot be
guaranteed on the Internet, and as such EVERTEC, Inc. and its affiliates accept
no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
Dovid Wakser
2013-06-14 15:32:08 UTC
I figured someone would answer, but since I saw no responses, I’ll throw in
my 2 cents’ worth.

MacKinney has a product (I can’t remember the name) that does this. But you
could do it also (with a program) by backing up the ICCF file to disk, then
having the program read through the backup file, looking for the strings you
desire. In fact, you could also use DITTO to do this, if you don’t want to
get sophisticated.

I hope that helps.

David Wakser

R***@decare.com
2013-06-14 15:33:47 UTC
MacKinney Systems has a product called Global Search and Replace that will
do that. We had it for a while, but because we migrated to BIM-EDIT, we
eventually dropped it.

Bob Jacobson
(651) 994-5329

From: "Victor Echavarry Diaz" <***@evertecinc.com>
To: "'VSE Discussion List'" <vse-***@lists.lehigh.edu>,
Date: 06/14/2013 09:00 AM
Sent by: vse-l-bounces+rjacobson=***@lists.lehigh.edu

Kevin Corkery
2013-06-14 15:45:02 UTC
There's a REXX procedure in IJSYSRS called ICCFTOOL.PROC that does something
similar to this. You may be able to modify it to do what you wish.

Gustavo Torres
2013-06-14 15:47:02 UTC
Try DSLISCAN:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ies77e06/3.6.1?SHELF=IESXMP06&DT=19970723124746

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Victor Echavarry Diaz <
Post by Victor Echavarry Diaz
Our consultants want to search a string of characters inside the ICCF
members. They told me it would be the same like the search in a PDS on
z/os. Is there is something like that on vse?****
** **
Regards,****
** **
Julian Wall
2013-06-14 18:24:00 UTC
Paul L'Heureux
2013-06-18 19:22:07 UTC
Randy,

I am not sure what is meant by USRINDEX.
Does this search DTSFILE or just the single library that you are in at the time?
Can you give examples of different ways to enter the SEARCH cmd?

Thanks,

Paul
Dovid Wakser
2013-06-18 19:24:19 UTC
I recall he said it searched your PRIMARY library, which is probably not
what you are looking to accomplish.

Paul
Randy Learned
2013-06-19 14:23:51 UTC
Paul,

usrindex is an iccf member which contains specific members to search.
if not present then your current library is searched.

here is an example.

search // exec ieswait

this will search for all members in your current library which have // exec
ieswait in them.
a max of 7 string items can be used (the procedure uses 7 variables).
// is one variable, exec is another, and ieswait is another.

I found a bug if you wanted to save the search results.
change all occurrances of serch&&varbl1 to srch&&varbl1
a member name can only be 8 characters and the library (varbl1) will be 4
numbers so changing serch to srch will make an 8 character name.

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Paul L'Heureux <
Randy,****
** **
I am not sure what is meant by USRINDEX.****
Does this search DTSFILE or just the single library that you are in at the
time?****
Can you give examples of different ways to enter the SEARCH cmd?****
** **
Thanks,****
** **
Paul****
Randy Learned, Mainframe Tech Support
Nebraska Book Company
Lincoln, NE
402-421-0428
***@gmail.com
mick poil
2013-06-19 14:57:39 UTC
How about a different approach? PUNCH whole libraries with PUNCTL using
DTSUTIL then route/FTP the output to z/OS (my personal preference would be
VM), and with a bit of Rexx to massage the output to build a PDS they can
use SRCHFOR.

I assume they are z/OS-literate only? Maybe you need to keep it all
in-house, in which case forget it.

Mike
d***@aol.com
2013-06-19 15:10:23 UTC
No need to route it anywhere else - place it on disk and let Rexx in VSE do that search. That had been my suggestion days ago!

2013-06-19 15:56:20 UTC
I use Pipelines a lot to do things, VSE doesn't have it ;-)
r***@aol.com
2013-06-19 17:02:24 UTC
Since there's been some discussion about ICCF lately I have the following curiosity questions.

The following is for those that actually use ICCF on a regular basis.

1). How many ICCF libraries, above 99, do you actually have members contained within them.

2). Of those above 99 that you actually have members contained within them what's the highest that actually contain members.
Dovid Wakser
2013-06-19 17:14:19 UTC
Bob:

We had a client who had 300 ICCF libraries; they processed data for other
companies, and each company had its own set of libraries for production JCL
(100-200 members, depending on the company's needs) and "test" libraries.

I never snooped through their libraries, but I once saw a "map" and almost
all the libraries had at least a "dummy" place holder. And I know that 300
was used.

Alas, we migrated them out of ICCF onto CMS and VMLIB, to handle their
auditors' requests for tighter controls.

Why are you asking? I am CERTAIN it is not idle curiosity. J

David Wakser

r***@aol.com
2013-06-19 17:35:57 UTC
Since you asked.

Many, many years ago I gave Jay Kopman,who has since passed, some code for free. In exchange he gave me a subroutine that he wrote to access the DTSFILE. This subroutine was, at the time, used in HIS ICCF scan utuility that KcKinney later bought or has license to sell, presumably paying Jay's successors. Back in the day McKinney GAVE the source code, I think, to whomever licensed their GSR product. It's still being used today (i.e. MACKICCF.OBJ) but McKinney no longer provides the source code. I recall learning that they did modify it to automatically determine the device type the DTSFILE resides on.

Since I now had access to the DTSFILE I set about writing a FCOBOL program, later changed to COBOL/VSE, to perform scans (I have a z/VSE library scan utility too). I added lots of bells and whistles to it which does much, much more than McKinney's current GSR product does.

At the time IBM shipped the DTSFILE with 99 libraries (many years ago IBM up'ed this to 199 libraries). Unfortunately I wrote it based on 99 libraries IBM was shipping at the time. I guess this tells you how long ago I wrote the program although I kept adding additional functionality over the years.

If I were to sell it it's somewhat useless for those sites that use more than 99 libraries, unless, I make modifications to it and I don't know how many people would be interested in purchasing it even IF I were to modify it.

David Stuart
2013-06-19 17:55:45 UTC
Bob,

If you were to modify your search/utility program, I would prefer a
parameter that let me specify how many ICCF libraries I have, rather
than having something hard-coded in the program.

Right now, at the County, we run with the default number of ICCF
libraries, and only a half dozen, or so, are used for anything, other
than what the z/VSE System uses. All our source and JCL are in
Bim-Edit. But other places I've been, we've used most of the ICCF
libraries that were defined.

Dave

Dave Stuart
Prin. Info. Systems Support Analyst
County of Ventura, CA
805-662-6731

Edward M. Martin
2013-06-19 17:19:08 UTC
Hello Bob,

We had an active 199 libraries with about 2/3 having members in them.

199 was my system library, with #99 actually having the IPL/JCL procs.

We kept a member ICCFLST in Iccf #2 as an index. With open available libraries noted.

Ed Martin
Aultman Health Foundation
330-363-5050
Ext 35050

Duerbusch, Tom
2013-06-19 19:28:37 UTC
One of my clients has 599 libraries defined.

They actively use 1-199.
201 - 399 is the 1-199 libraries from the VSE/ESA 2 system.
401 - 599 is the 1-199 libraries from the z/VSE 3.1 system
1-199 is the currently libraries on the z/VSE 4.3.1 system.

Tom Duerbusch
THD Consulting

The ICCF Locate command will search your current member as does the Search command. A command to search all members within a given library versus running a batch program to do the same would be nice.
i***@googlemail.com
2018-08-30 16:57:14 UTC
VSE Navigator has a function to search within ICCF libraries and ICCF members.
It punches out each member in order to search it under the covers.
So it might take a while when searching lost of members....

Kind regards, Ingo

i***@winwholesale.com
2018-08-30 19:21:54 UTC
Post by o***@gmail.com
The ICCF Locate command will search your current member as does the
Search command. A command to search all members within a given
library versus running a batch program to do the same would be nice.
We have ICCF, of course, but we don't really use it. We have
BIM-EDIT for our source management but I do occasionally need to find some
IBM-supplied ICCF member. BIM-EDIT provides the means to prevent having
to actually get into ICCF for this type of stuff.

| Commands Used to Access VSE/ICCF Library Members |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
| DISPLAYI | Display text of an ICCF member. |
| GETI | Alter session text - insert ICCF member. |
| LIBRARYI | Display list of members in ICCF library. |
| LISTI | Display text of an ICCF member. |
| LOADI | Create member from ICCF library member. |
| LOADIL | Create members from ICCF library members. |

However, BIM-EDIT doesn't supply a means of searching through
multiple ICCF members or multiple ICCF libraries. But, since BIM-EDIT has
a comprehensive built-in procedure language, I created user-defined
BIM-EDIT commands for various online mass-searches that BIM-EDIT doesn't
provide. These work very well.

BIM-EDIT provides the first one, below, for searching within
itself. I wrote the other four.

| Commands Used for Mass Searches |
|-------------------------------------------------------------------|
| SCAN | Search multiple members for a specified pattern. |
| SCAND | Search multiple VSE members for a specified pattern. |
| SCANI | Search multiple ICCF members for a specified pattern. |
| SCANP | Search multiple POWER entries for a specified pattern. |
| LOCMEMI | Locate an ICCF member by partial or full name. |

Sincerely,

Dave Clark
--
Winsupply Group Services
3110 Kettering Boulevard

This email message and any attachments is for use only by the named
addressee(s) and may contain confidential, privileged and/or proprietary
information. If you have received this message in error, please
immediately notify the sender and delete and destroy the message and all
copies. All unauthorized direct or indirect use or disclosure of this
message is strictly prohibited. No right to confidentiality or privilege
is waived or lost by any error in transmission.
Paul L'Heureux
2013-06-19 14:56:34 UTC
Thanks Randy.

Paul